1974 was the centennial year for this church and, at homecoming, 300 persons attended services under an old-fashioned brush arbor. The conference began assigning preachers to this church in 1872. Rev. C.T. Clark was one of the early pastors. A wooden building was built in 1894. In 1919, Rev. H.H. Heisler was the pastor of the Smithville Circuit which had the following churches: Smithville, Leesburg, Sumter, Adams, and Benevolence. In 1940 the charge was Leslie-Leesburg with Desoto. In 1956, Leesburg became a station church.
In the 1950s, a junior choir was organized, the Woman’s Society of Christian Service sponsored a community play entitled The Old Ship of Zion
, the church was brick veneered and a new entrance constructed, and a new parsonage built. In the 1960s, air conditioning and a PA system were added, the youth MYF ministry introduced Sunday night fellowship, a Baldwin piano purchased and a new Sunday school class, the Pace Setters, started for young married couples. During the 1970s, the pastor's study was refurbished and remodeled with funds from WSCS, the tennis courts were paved, stained glass memorial windows were installed, the sanctuary renovated, and an organ purchased
. In 1996, a new sanctuary building was completed.