The McRae Methodist Church was organized in 1879, by Rev. J. L. Williams, who was the pastor. Services were held in the county courthouse during the first year with 54 members joining the church. The first church building was constructed in 1882, at the corner of Parsonage and Telfair Streets with Rev. W. J. Robertson as pastor. The lot was deeded to the trustees, L. McLean, J. VanValkenbury, J. Daughtry, L. P. Jones, and W. B. Folsom, on July 18, 1882. The seating capacity was for two hundred fifty people and valued at $500. There were five churches in the McRae District including McRae, Trinity, Bethlehem, Lumber City
, and Shelton's Chapel.
The second church building was constructed in 1899 and was located on the corner of College St
reet and Second Avenue. Rev. S. W. Walker was the pastor and the lot was deeded to the church on November 11, 1899. The trustees of the church were J. Daughtry, L. P. Jones, W. B. Folsom, J. L. Wilcox, A. S. J. McRae, and L. L. Campbell. Daniel McRae donated both of these lots that the two buildings occupied. In 1900, McRae became a full-time church. Under the leadership and tireless efforts of Rev. W. A. Huckabee, the McRae Methodist Episcopal Church was, in a large measure, responsible for the South Georgia College being located in McRae.
Under Rev. J. O. J. Taylor's pastorate, the present church building was built in 1928, on the same lot as was used for the second church structure. W. B. Folsom donated an adjacent piece of land to make the site large enough for the structure. On August 2, 1936, this church was dedicated by Bishop Warren A. Candler and the mortgage papers were burned in front of the church by focusing the sun's rays through a sunglass. In 1949, the lot on which the present church offices are located was purchased from Mrs. O. F. McRae to build a parsonage. The windows in the narthex of the church came from the first Methodist Church in McRae. The first choir was organized under Rev. Lytle Jones between 1930 and 1934.
The sanctuary was badly damaged in a fire on February 10, 1978. Through the unified efforts of the congregation and friends, however, the restored and renovated sanctuary was reopened for worship by Bishop William R. Cannon on January 14, 1979. In this service, the church's Centennial Celebration was launched. One outstanding feature of the Centennial Celebration was the use of a brush arbor built by the Methodist Men for the August service.