The small settlement of Montezuma, named by the Mexican War veterans in honor of their Mexican hero, was incorporated in 1854. The first service preached there was held under a brush arbor near the Felton Cemetery. Soon a one-room wood building was constructed and used for both a school and a church. The church lot and adjacent cemetery were on land donated by Mr. A. C. Felton, Sr. In September 1866, a meeting was held to discuss the construction of a new building. Rev. E. T. McGehee was the pastor and W. W. McLendon, James A. Spivey, and David L. Wicker was appointed to the committee
. The Montezuma Methodist Episcopal Church was formally organized on February 17, 1867, with eighty-one members. In 1872, Montezuma became a station, but in 1877 Montezuma and Marshallville churches united to form a Charge.
In 1885, the decision was made under the pastorate of Rev. J. M. Austin, to not only build a new church but to move the location on Dooly Street. By the early fall of 1887, the building was ready for occupancy and was later dedicated by Bishop Warren A. Candler. It must be noted, that the Methodist church had been helpful to the Baptist church earlier and, therefore, the Baptists helped the Methodists a great deal during this time of construction.
In 1916, under the leadership of Rev. Guyton Fisher, it was decided that a more modern building with adequate Sunday school rooms was needed. The first service in this new sanctuary was held on March 25, 1917, with Rev. Robert Kerr as pastor. In the 1950s, Rev. H. McCoy Johnson was the pastor and a new school building was added. At this same time, the sanctuary was redecorated and, in 1960, a new brick parsonage was built. In 1962, the church began broadcasting its Sunday morning services on the local radio station. A new organ was installed in 1964, and, in 1965, the church participated in a softball league, winning many games. In 1967, the church celebrated its Centennial anniversary with James Kenney, C. G. Haugabook, Jr. and William Hurdle speaking at the service. In 1968, the Steve Johnson Fellowship Hall was opened.