Before the first church was organized, the Methodists in the community were served by Rev. Zachariah Stearns, a local Methodist minister. In 1840, his son, Rev. Harris Stearns, organized the church and served as its first pastor. The church was originally called Red Level Church and was located a mile from the present courthouse. Founding families were: Stephen Johnson and wife, Jessie Adams and wife, Daniel Whatley and wife, Jacob Sistrunk Sr. and wife, Daniel Sistrunk, and wife, Benjamin Griffith, and wife, and Jacob Sistrunk Jr. and wife. The first building was erected in the 1840s. In 1858, a violent storm came up and lifted the building from its foundation and carried it some distance. But no one was hurt and the building was undamaged. The present building was built in 1920. In 1940, the church celebrated its 100th anniversary, a Youth Crusade was held during the summer, and the Woman’s Society of Christian Service was organized. During the 1940s the church also sponsored a Boy Scout troop and presented Easter and Christmas Cantatas. The church was named a four-star church in missionary giving 1958-1960.
In 1974, the church Memorial Garden was planted and dedicated. In 1985, the church was named Church of the Year. In 1990, the church celebrated its 150th anniversary with 250 attending the service and dinner. In 2005, a former pastor, Rev. Scott Tucker, and his family went to Kazakhstan as missionaries with support from the church.