This church was organized in a one-room building on the 23rd of April 1889, with 20 members. According to the 1898 Minutes, it was a mission with Hamilton with Rev. J. A. Smith as the pastor. They made progress with 76 additions and paid the preacher $560 with$1,738.35 for all other purposes. The next year, Upatoi was on the mission with East Highland and Rev. L. W. Colson was pastor. Members reported needing a parsonage. The present building was begun in 1927 and dedicated October 10, 1937
. In 1948, the educational section of the church was added. This church began a mission in Morningside in 1953; in 1984 the mission was called Striplin Terrace. In the 1960s, two ministerial students were sponsored by a scholarship fund. In 1964, a new parsonage was built at 18th Avenue. In the early 1980s, the church exterior was painted white and the interior redecorated. A public address system-intercom with individual hearing aids has been installed.
In 1998, the church brick exterior was painted beige with white highlights at the windows, doors, and corners. The interior was also painted and new carpet installed. A Carillon, new roofing, and a security system were also added. In 2000, a new Fellowship Hall was dedicated. In 2004, the church started an e-mail web based prayer team. On July 1, 2012, Wesley Heights UMC merged with East Highland.