This church had its origins in Muscogee County in 1820. The first church structure sat on the north side of Buena Vista Road adjacent to the old cemetery that still remains. This church was destroyed by a storm, rebuilt, and then destroyed again by a fire. The third church was moved to the south side of Buena Vista Road. This third structure was a white frame church with windows on each side, steps across the front, a chimney situated in the center and hand-hewn pews. The records from these days were destroyed by a fire in Cusseta Church many years ago. In 1987 and 1988, Midway UMC was named Church of the Year for the Columbus District.
In 1947, this church was forced to relocate due to an expansion at the Ft. Benning Military Reservation. During the transition and building of the new sanctuary, services were held in the home of Mr. Fletcher Elliot. Mr. Oliver Comer donated the land where the current sanctuary now stands. Material from the old church was used to build the new church. Sunday school rooms were added later. In 1951, the first electronic organ was purchased under the pastorate of Rev. C. H. Williams. A new educational building was constructed from 1954-1957 during Rev. Ted P. Griner's time. P. M. Preston was Sunday school superintendent and chairman of the building committee. Rev. Carlton F. Reid was leading the church when it was remodeled and a vestibule and choir loft added. From 1963-1967, a new parsonage was constructed.