With the opening of this area to settlers, Methodism was here. Rev. James Stockdale, a circuit rider, preached to the people in a brush arbor on the site of the present church in 1828. The log meeting house in 1829 was the first church building in the new town. Rev. Arthur Hammil was the first preacher assigned specifically to St. Luke and it was part of the South Carolina Conference. This building was followed by a frame building on the same site. Under the leadership of Rev. Lovick Pierce in 1836, the first brick building was constructed. Dr. Lovick Pierce was pastor of St. Luke twice in its history and organized its sister church, St. Paul. A second brick building, built in its place in the late 1890s, was destroyed by fire on May 10, 1942. The present sanctuary is Georgian architecture; the portico is supported by graceful columns and a tall spire with a cross on top. The eight windows in the sanctuary depict incidents from creation to establishment of the Methodist Church in America. It was "officially" opened in 1948. The Turner Chapel and education facility was dedicated on April 14, 1965. St. Luke has hosted the annual conference of the South Georgia Conference in 1871, 1881, 1892, 1910, 1928, 1936, 1949, 1961, and 1973. This church has been involved in the beginning of many of the new churches in individual support and through the District Board of Missions. St. Luke UMC also supported missionaries in the Congo and raised $100,000 to build a school there. Over $92,000 was raised in one Sunday for this mission and was reported in the New York Times
In the post-depression years, there was much unemployment due to the closing of a mill. A small group of people, led by Mrs. George Matthews, Mrs. Ralph King (both active members of St. Luke) and Mr. Jess Schrimshire, acquired a cottage next to Hamp Stevens Methodist Church, raised $10,000 and opened a facility of day care for working mothers. This was the beginning of Open Door. Dr. Frank M. Parr, a minister of Pastoral Care at St. Luke UMC, organized the St. Luke Older Council and developed various ministries for older adults. In love and appreciation, the St. Luke Older Adult council spearheaded a project to make the Frank M. Parr Wall Hanging which now hangs on the east wall of Stockton Hall.