In 1865, the Rev. J. R. Littlejohn was sent to the Wesley Chapel Church to serve as its pastor. He served from 1865 to 1870. The church was located on the banks of the Chattahoochee River. The Sunday school superintendent was Tom Jackson. In 1873, the property where the church was located was bought by the Eagle and Phoenix Mills. The church had to be moved and Mr. George Swift gave a lot on Broad Street. The Broad Street Church was completed in 1874 and stayed there until November 12, 1912
. At that time, the property was sold and the present Third Ave location was acquired. The present building was constructed in 1912-1913. On March 6, 1913, the first Quarterly Conference was held and it was voted that the name is changed from the Broad St
reet Church to the Methodist Tabernacle. In 1914, the Conference voted to change the name to its present name of St. Mark.
In 1954, under the pastorate of Rev. W. C. Bryant, an educational building was constructed. The building houses the Sunday school classrooms, nursery, social hall, and kitchen. In December 1966, the Susannah Wesley Bible Class furnished a lovely prayer chapel in the building. This was dedicated to the glory of God on May 7, 1967. A short time later, a cross was constructed at the top of the dome of the church as a symbol of lifting up Christ unto all men.
By the 1970s, the decline of the downtown area and dwindling membership resulted in a decision to move to Whitesville Road. The church was housed in temporary buildings until 1978 when the building now housing our Education Wing was completed
. St. Mark experienced such rapid growth in membership, programs, and budget during the next 5 years that plans were begun in 1982 for a new facility to house a six hundred twenty-five seat sanctuary, library, chapel and conference room. The new building was completed and consecrated in September 1985
. The 1989 purchase of an adjacent 2.7-acre parcel provided for future expansion and additional parking space. Much needed administrative offices were added in 1990. The addition of the Activity Center in 1995 provided an excellent facility for a multi-faceted community outreach. In 2005, St Mark constructed a new Youth Ministries Center. We are filled with gratitude for our rich heritage at St. Mark but we are a body of believers looking to the future with excitement and confidence. The best is yet to be! We believe God is forging a greater vision for His people in St. Mark. "He has made everything beautiful in its time." (Eccl. 3:11)