Thirty years after the first Methodist Church started in Columbus, St. Paul UMC was created from the devout members of the elder church's congregation with the help of Rev. Dr. Lovick Pearce as the first pastor. The first building was completed in 1859, on the corner of Third Avenue and Thirteenth Street in downtown Columbus. It was modest in size and built with the fine architectural elements that characterized houses of worship during this time. Columbus families worshiped there for almost fifty years before a lightning strike in 1901 forced the congregation to develop other plans for a sanctuary. A new sanctuary was built in 1902, with walls of brick and cut stone around colorfully illustrated stained glass windows, portraying the life and works of God. The sanctuary was decorated with detailed carpentry and a high steeple overlooking the intersection of the church's corner lot could be seen from almost anywhere in Columbus at the time. During the California gold rush boom, St. Paul sent congregates to the mining towns to aid in the spiritual and physical conditions of the miners and their families. Many of the young men filling the church's pews also departed for Europe during WWI and WWII.
As downtown Columbus underwent a commercial development period in the mid-1900s, St. Paul decided to move the church closer to where its congregants were living. The grand, old church was humbled by the wrecking ball and the current building was completed in 1952 at the confluence of Wildwood Avenue and Forest Avenue in the suburb of Wynnton. From this new location, the old and new families of St. Paul UMC continue their outreach to the community. Locally, the church participates in clothing and food drives, sheltering the homeless, and supporting fellow Methodist congregations. Mission work has expanded to a foreign land by maintaining close relationships with groups in Ukraine, where members travel annually to aid locals and an emphasis on the spiritual nourishment of children continuing as a focus for the church.