In the fall of 1955, the Commission of Missions of St. Luke Methodist Church recognized the need for a sister church in the southeastern part of our city. The site chosen for the church was the abandoned Muscogee County Convict Camp. The grounds were graded, graveled and seeded with grass. The buildings were transformed - the cell area was cleared and served as the sanctuary, the administration building was converted into a nursery and classrooms, kitchen and dining facilities were provided for supper and entertainment. One room was furnished as parsonage accommodations. A six-day revival began on Monday, November 7, 1955, with Rev. Frank Robertson preaching. Regular services began on November 13, 1955. Rev. Vance Eastridge, a student at Emory University, was appointed the first regular minister. The church was established in October 1955, and chartered on April 1, 1956, with 75 charter members.
In June 1966, the church was relocated to its present site and the sanctuary and classrooms were ready for service. In October 1974, a pictorial directory was created, and in January 1975, new panes of glass were installed at the rear of the church to form a cross. The first female acolyte was used in July 1975, and a parsonage was purchased on Countryside Drive. The new educational wing was approved in 1976. In 1983, St. Mary's Road won the Evangelism award for 1982. The Woman's Society of Christian Service began in March 1956, with 12 members and the Men's Club was organized in November 1956. The MYF was chartered in 1956, and their first counselors were Norman and Edith McCullough. Groundbreaking services were held on January 2, 1966.