In 1821, Elder Samuel Johnson, a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, settled here. The church was organized in Fort Gaines in 1822. The services were held in the home of General John Dill for many years. In 1830, a house was built for all, but, in 1836, it burned down. The initial church was built in 1840. The present church was built in 1894, under P. H. Crumpler's pastorate. The members who served on the building committee were W. A. Graham, W. M. Speight, A. S. Brown, S. E. Lewis, W. B. Holmes, and J. D. McKissack. In 1925, the two-storied, wooden Sunday school rooms were built with B. A. Pafford
as pastor. In 1925, the Fort Gaines school burned and students attended school in both the Methodist church and Baptist church. The parsonage was located next to the church building and, in the 1940s, it was renovated. The chimes were installed in 1949 and, in 1953, the two original steeples were removed and the church was remodeled and bricked. In the end of the 1960s, the education building/fellowship hall was built and, in 1971, the Sunday school rooms were remodeled and bricked. The present parsonage was built in 1974 while Heywood Heirs was the pastor. The most recent renovations occurred in 2006 with pews removed, refinished, and reinstalled.