Rev. Robert Williamson, who had an outside appointment while serving the Butler Charge, realized his dream of a church in the community in 1870, with the formation of Howard Methodist Episcopal Church. The land was donated by Marshall Patrick Brown, William Matthews, and Freeman Matthews with Rev. Williamson and Judge W. D. Grace providing the financial means. A Union Sunday school was active during this time which had members in both the Baptist faith and the Methodist Church. Necessary money was raised by means of box suppers and entertainment, a forerunner of the annual July 4th barbeque which has been enjoyed since 1954. The church was moved four feet in 1952, due to the change in the course of the road that runs by the building. When the new foundation was built, the main church building was lowered and the front of the church was remodeled and repaired. The Howard Church has been placed on several charges including the Geneva charge, the Mauk charge, Wesley/Union/Crowell charge, Butler charge and, finally, the Howard charge.