The roots of this church can be found in the work of the Lee Mission. The earliest historian of Lumpkin Methodism, Mr. Loverd Bryan, moved to Lumpkin in 1830, and in 1831 met Rev. George Chappell who had been appointed as a missionary to the area. He was succeeded by Rev. W. Bedell and Rev. W.N. Sears in 1832 and 1833. These men held meetings "all over the county wherever they could collect a congregation." In 1833, the mission was constituted the Stewart Circuit and in 1834, Rev. Joseph T. Talley and Rev. Anderson Watson were sent to the work. The Lumpkin church was organized in 1837 and 3.5 acres were bought from the Boyntons for a church and cemetery. The first building was wood. In 1859, a more elaborate wooden structure was built on the corner of the property near Church Street. This was used until 1909 when it was sold to a black Baptist church and was moved to Trotman Road where it is still in use. The third and present building was erected in 1910. The cornerstone contained letters from former pastors and the history of the bell, given by Dr. Bedingfield in 1843. The builder, in 1836, of the Bedingfield Inn, now on the National Register of Historic Places, Dr. Bryan Bedingfield, had been converted at a camp meeting preached by Judge Barry. He made his inn home for traveling ministers and became an exhorter and preacher himself.