In July 1956, the Columbus Board of Missions determined the need of a new Methodist Church in the area of Laurel Hills, Cascade Hills, and Caroline Park under the direction of Rev. Edwin Grimes
. On December 9, 1956, a meeting was held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Hagerson and it was voted to find a building and begin services right away. A furniture store was found and rented as the church building and on December 16, 1956. Rev. Grimes preached to forty-four people. W. A. Hagerson, J. L. Scott, and T. L. Weyandt were nominated as the first stewards[G4]
. The church was named St. Andrew because that was the reading Rev. Grimes used for his first sermon. Sunday school started on December 30, 1956. The Woman's Society of Christian Service was organized on January 29, 1957. The Men's Club was organized on February 12, 1956.
The land was bought for a church from the Muscogee County School District on January 14, 1957. Groundbreaking occurred in June 1957 and the building was completed in November 1957. Rev. Clarence Wallin was appointed pastor. A parsonage was soon purchased. In June 1963, Rev. Rudolph Grantham led the church through a remodeling of the sanctuary and the addition of two new Sunday school rooms. In the late 1960s, the decision was made to sell the current church building, purchase land and build a new sanctuary. While the construction was completed, members met at the Girl's Club
. The church was started in 1971 and completed by the fall of 1972
. In December 1972, a new parsonage was bought.
In 1973, a new bus was purchased for the youth and promptly named Casper. In 1975, Mrs. Carmen Johns became the first paid Choir Director and Organist at St. Andrew. In March 1978, five lots on the west side of Hurst Drive were purchased for parking, and in 1980 and 1988, St. Andrew was named Church of the Year. On April 20, 1997, the fortieth anniversary celebration was held with a homecoming service and dinner on the grounds with Bishop Richard Looney preaching. In 2004, St. Andrew and St. John merged congregations to form a new church of united members. The new church was named St. Peter and held its first service on Sunday, August 22, 2004.