The Methodist Conference meeting in Columbia, SC, on January 30, 1830, sent two missionaries to the Flint River mission of which Talbot County is part. The church was organized in 1831, as a separate charge of the Georgia Conference. Two lots had been set aside for the Methodist church when the town had been incorporated in 1827. The first trustees named are Charles Fisher, Henry Mims, Littleton Hooten, David C Maund and Samuel C. Luck. The first frame building was built with money from Colonel Henry Mims and Rev. Charles Fisher. In 1857, the present building was constructed by Miranda Fort, a master brick mason, and builder. The architectural design is Greek revival emphasizing the six large, wide columns across the front. The steeple bell, given by Ezekiel Smith and brought from Macon by wagon team, was bought in 1839, and dedicated during the pastorate of Rev. A. M. Wynne.
The sanctuary was remodeled in 1957, with the addition of an electric organ, pulpit chairs and communion table, flower stands, a brass cross and candelabra, baby grand piano and silver candle snuffer. In 1962, the basement was renovated with new heating and air conditioning, classrooms, a kitchen, and restrooms. The present church parsonage was built in 1898, and the architecture is East Lake Victorian. The balustrade on the roof of the parsonage was removed in the 1920s, and the ornate chimneys were removed in the 1970s. In 1978, Talbotton UMC was listed as site #64 on the South Georgia United Methodist Historic Register.