Named for Rev. James E. Evans, this church was organized in 1828. The first pastor was Rev. Corley. The first building, which is still in use, was a one-room wooden structure put together with wooden pegs and square nails. In the beginning, the pulpit was placed in the end next to the road and, as worshippers entered, they had to walk by the pulpit to reach the pews. Perhaps it was a gesture toward filling the front pews first.