In May 1832, settlers in this area met in an old log cabin schoolhouse to study the teaching of John Wesley and they formed a Society for the study of the Bible and worship. Among the people in this group were John Bustin, Naomi Bustin, William Boswell and Mrs. Nancy Boswell, the Rev. N. Waller, and Mrs. Rebecca Bunkley. This group continued to meet in the schoolhouse being served by pastor along the Alabama stagecoach road. In 1833, they decided to build a church and William Boswell donated two acres of land for the church site. A building was constructed and the deed for the property given to the trustees, William B. Marshall and John Bustin in March 1844. The church was named for one of its first pastors, Rev. William D. Matthews, who is buried nearby. After the Civil War, the original building was torn down and a new one built. This is the sanctuary that is still used today. Mr. W. T. Collier was the architect and builder.