Organized in 1840, Old Lowell Church was destroyed by fire in about 1865 and the property passed from church ownership. From 1865 to 1898, there was no place to worship; then the Methodists and Baptists built a union church called Midway. The Methodists, in 1890, began to worship at Salem Church where they continued until New Lowell was built in 1900, on property given by W.T. Credille, Sr. The site is that of Old Lowell. In May 1951, Sunday school rooms were added. Mr. G.K. Reeney of Columbus gave the art glass window, "The Good Shepherd." In 1963, when the waters of the Walter F. George Lock and Dam came within yards of the church and cemetery, the road to the church had to be moved five miles.
As farms of many member families were flooded by the lake, they moved and membership declined, although Sunday school was still held every Sunday and church services every second and fourth Sundays. The pastor in the early 1980s was Rev. Asbury Walton. Currently, there are no Sunday school classes but worship services occur every Sunday at 9:45 am.