Established in 1832-1833, this church first built a log building which stood on the south side of the road directly below where the main part of Providence Canyon Park is now located. David Lowe donated the land for a church and a school, Providence Academy. At that time this was the site of a thriving community. The present building was built in 1859, on land donated by David Clements Moore and dedicated in November 1860. The old building was left to rot away. It has been moved as the Canyon encroached. The clapboard building is built of hand-planed virgin timber; the pews, made by country cabinet makers, had a divider down the center to separate the men and women who also entered by separate front doors. The old light fixtures remain
but have been converted to electricity. A cemetery adjoins the church. To maintain this historic church, services are held only on fifth Sundays. The last members were received into the church in August 1942.