This church was originally organized in 1829 in a log building and was named Clowers for a leading lay member. The first pastor was Rev. Andrew Hamlin. In 1834 a frame building building was erected, and in 1857 the present building was built on the present location. Although Clowers is its earlier name, it has been Cataula since the late 1880's. In the 1860's it was a part of the Muscogee Circuit. From 1860 to the early 1900's it was on the Cataula Ct. In 1898 Rev. H.M. Morrison was the pastor, followed by Rev. W.T. Stewart in 1899. In 1908, the Cataula Circuit was not listed in the conference MINUTES. Separate listing of the churches on the circuits appears in the 1919 MINUTES, where Cataula is part of the Midland Ct. with Rev. M.W. Flanders, pastor.
The church Epworth League was chartered on September 23, 1927, and the UMW was organized in 1944. In 1971-1975 the Davis house was purchased and the two Sunday School rooms in the back of the church were converted to a kitchen and bathrooms. During the late 1970's, the church was remodeled with new lights, carpeting and pew pads.