In 1844, Rev. Burkhalter donated land adjoining the city limits to the Methodist congregation. He used the lumber on his property to build a one-room church house and became the first preacher. Rev. Burkhalter was known to have a temper, though, and after one bitter dispute with the congregation, he moved the church in the middle of the night to its present site in Buena Vista. In 1847, this structure burned down but another sanctuary was built north of the schoolhouse. The church remained in this location until the children of the late Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Perry donated land in 1966, and the present building was constructed. The first service was held on January 22, 1967, and a new fellowship hall in 1997, through the generous donations of Mr. Ike Treadway.