Two and a half miles west of Adrian, this church was founded in 1866, first meeting in a brush arbor, with services conducted by Rev. Jim Drake. A log building was erected in 1867 and called Poplar Springs because of a nearby spring of water surrounded by poplar trees
. The Rev. R. M. Walker was the first pastor. In 1887, the log building was replaced by a wood frame sanctuary, and 50 years later a porch and three Sunday school rooms were added. In December 1947, a fire totally destroyed the building. Preparation for a new sanctuary began immediately with members of the congregation cutting and hauling trees to a sawmill in Adrian and hauling brick and other materials to the church site. The red brick building was dedicated in 1951. Poplar Springs is also the location of the oldest church cemetery in Johnson County with over eight hundred marked grave sites. The cemetery is non-denominational and is truly a landmark in the area. The church celebrated its Centennial in 1966. Since then a steeple has been added, the roof replaced, and central heat/air installed in the sanctuary and fellowship hall.