This brief history is compiled from a history written by the late John E. Watkins, beloved and charter member of Coleman Chapel from its beginnings to his death in 1940. Mr. J. J. Johnson taught at the school located on a plantation owned by Mr. Lindsey Coleman and included Sunday school in his teaching. The church began in a brush arbor on one side of the schoolhouse on Mr. Lindsay Coleman's plantation in the late 1860s. In July 1867, a revival was held and several joined the church. Mrs. J. E. Jenkins was the first to join. In 1870, the church was organized by Dr. L. B. Boschell, a local elder who also practiced medicine at Summertown. C. J. Toole was appointed the first pastor and served until 1872. The present site was deeded to Coleman Chapel by Mr. M. A. Evan and a building committee was appointed with M. B. Watkins and A. A. Fountain doing the building. In 1936, during the ministry of Rev. F. J. Gilbert, a new floor was put in, the high pulpit lowered, and electric lights installed. During Rev. Louis E. Gholson's pastorate, there was another remodeling project completed with walls sheetrocked, gas installed, and carpet laid.