On December 24, 1850, three acres of land belonging to Benjamin Pope were bought by Francis B. Drake, Edwin Holmes, Kinman Jones, and William Brantley, as trustees, in Laurens County for the location of a Methodist church. The church was given the name Gethsemane. The first building was a small log structure but, in the 1880s, the building became too small. A second building was erected but, by the 1900s, another church was needed. The new building was constructed across the street, which was the church's location until 1933. In 1933, the decision was made to move Gethsemane to the east side of Dublin to be closer to the population. Mr. D. T. Brown donated land for the new structure and Mrs. W. L. Lake helped move the church to its new location. After this relocation, the church had access to electricity for the first time, but still no indoor plumbing and a wood stove for heat. Not long after completing the new structure, the church was destroyed due to the wind. Another church structure was soon built and the piano was donated by Judge and Mrs. E. D. White. Services were held one Sunday each month but Sunday school met every week. In 1948, members decided to build their first parsonage and it had indoor plumbing. Rev. Ernest Veal and his family were the first to occupy the new house.
The ground was broken for a new church on June 15, 1959
. Rev. C. E. Croft was the pastor and J. E. Beckham was chairman of the building committee. In order not to interrupt services, the new structure was built between the old church and the parsonage. Once the new building was completed, the old church was sold and moved. In 1965, a new parsonage was built in a nearby subdivision. A major renovation of the main church building occurred in 1976 and an electronic organ was added
. The oak pews were replaced with upholstered ones in 1984. The ground was broken for a new social hall on April 15, 1990,
and was completed in September 1990. In 1993, Gethsemane was named a station church. In July 2015, during their one day Vacation Bible School, a school supply "love boat" was packed for the children of the Methodist Home in Macon.