The Mitchell MECS was built in 1891, on land deeded to the church by Mrs. Rachal Kitchens. The trustees were J. C. Kelley, N. S. Hodges, T. C. Gibson, and J. T. Scruggs. There were 60 members with a Sunday school enrollment of 45. Rev. A. M. Williams was the presiding elder. Mitchell, Pine Hill, Harris, and Warthen made up the charge. Early members included Dr. and Mrs. John Brooks and family, Dr. and Mrs. William Gibson and family, Mrs. Rachal Kitchens and four daughters, Rev. Joe Scruggs, N. S. Hodges and family, J. C. Kelley and family and M. L. Newsome and family. A new parsonage was built in 1899.
The church building is a white frame structure with four Sunday school classrooms. New pews were bought in 1940, while Rev. E. R. Cowart was the pastor. The interior was redecorated in 1947-1948, under Rev. J. E. Sumner's leadership. At that time, stained-glass windows purchased from the Swainsboro Baptist Church were installed. Restrooms and central heat and air conditioning were installed in 1968. More renovations including having the ceiling lowered, wainscoting, new paint carpet, and pew cushions were added in 1977-1978.