The church began in 1837, under the leadership of Rev. William Harden, meeting in a brush arbor at first and then in an old log school house. The first church building was constructed in 1850. The old building is still in use as a recreation hall. It has much of the original wood still in it. The present building dates from 1956. The church is one of the oldest in Toombs County and a local landmark of faithful Methodism. In 1955, Mt. Moriah was on the Toombs County Circuit with Cedar Grove and Pearsons. From 1956-1961, Mt. Moriah was head of the circuit made up of Cedar Grove, Mt. Moriah, Pearsons Chapel and Sharpe's Chapel. In 1962, these same churches, plus Ruth's Chapel, became the Lyons Circuit until 1969. In 1970, Mt. Moriah was on a new Toombs County Circuit, made up of Center, Harden's Chapel, Morrison, New Branch and Mt. Moriah. In 1976, Mt. Moriah, New Branch, and Sharpe's Chapel became the Trinity circuit.