Over one hundred years ago, on April 28, 1881, Mr. W. D. McGregor gave to the trustees of the Mount Vernon Circuit of the Methodist Church an acre of land "for and in consideration of natural love and affection that he has and bears to the church." The trustees were W. McAllister, T. B. Adams, James Higgs, William Calhoun, Alex McArthur, Z. T. Mann, H. B. McNatt, and G. W. Peterson. Monthly services were held in the Presbyterian Church for several years until the Methodist could build their own house of worship. Church members and friends donated timber, which was sawed without charge, by Council and Graddy, a lumber mill located in Higgston.
Shortly after the church was completed, it served as a classroom. The school, directly in front of the church at the time, was overcrowded. The class met in the church until a new school could be built. Sunday school has been conducted in the church since it was first organized. Judge John C. McAllister served as Sunday school superintendent for many years followed by George L. Adams, D. W. Folsom, and W. A. Peterson. The first record of a young people's organization in the charge was an Epworth League organized in the Mount Vernon church in 1899. The Woman's Missionary Society has functioned as a vital part of the church since 1897, started by four members including Mrs. W. T. Clarke, the pastor's wife, Mrs. Lanier, Mrs. Clifford Geigger and Mrs. E. M. Rackley. In 1900, the first quarterly conference was held with forty members listed for the Woman's Missionary Society. There have been three parsonages for this circuit. The sanctuary has been remodeled twice since it was first built with the current church having a part of the older church within its walls. Four Sunday school classes were added in 1922-1925. A new church and educational building were completed in 1963. A new social hall was built behind the former social hall in the 1990s.