In 1824, a Methodist church was organized near Buck Horn Creek in Laurens County. At first, it was called Darsey Meeting House but then changed to Buckhorn
. The first building was a log cabin. In the 1880s a frame structure was erected. A number of additions have been made during the years: Four Sunday School rooms in 1943, social hall and kitchen in 1963, brick veneer in 1969, and an educational building in 1979. Buckhorn became a station church in 1975. Buckhorn is the oldest church in Laurens County.
In order to build and pay for a parsonage, the church members organized a country fair named Possum Hollow in 1975, which paid for the parsonage within three years. In 1993, a new social hall and kitchen were built and the old social hall remodeled into Sunday school rooms.