The earliest recorded history of Methodism in Swainsboro begins around 1863, then a part of the Sandersville District. In 1875, the first building, a large, one-room frame structure, was built at the northwest corner of North Green and West Church Streets. In 1896, a new wooden church was constructed on the same property. A parsonage was soon added and, in 1911, the sanctuary was remodeled. In 1937, the original church building became the Sunday school building and a new sanctuary was built. In 1955, Mrs. Frank Mitchell donated the building site on which the present church now stands. Groundbreaking was held on February 16, 1956, and Rev. Vernard Robertson, who had served as pastor for five years, preached the first sermon on June 2, 1957. The west wing, consisting of 13 classrooms, choir room, pastor's study, administrative office, library, counseling room and garden area was completed in 1967. A weekday kindergarten began in 1968, as a service to the community and, in 1974, an Allen 902 organ with accessories was purchased. In 2007, Rev. S. Wayne DeFore, pastor of Swainsboro FUMC, was awarded the G. Ross Freeman leadership award for the South Georgia Conference.