In 1882, this church began in a log building with Rev. John T. Sharpe as the first pastor. The land, which is where the present church stands, was donated by John O. Wilkes and his son, M. F. Wilkes. In 1919, Center was on the Higgiston Circuit with Harden's Chapel, Ruth, Higgiston, and Odum. Rev. W. E. Scott was the pastor. In 1930, Center was head of this circuit of churches and Rev. C. A. Griffith was the pastor. The present church was built in 1925-1926. The old log church was pulled across the street where it was converted into a dwelling house. It burned down in the early 1940s. In 1928 or 1929, when the home of Tom McSwain burned, the church records, which were stored in the home, burned as well. 1940, Center was on the Toombs County circuit with Cedar Grove, Harden's Chapel, Marvin, New Branch, Pearsons, and Ruth. Rev. R. E. Brown was the pastor.
In 2004, with James Scott as a lay speaker, the Lake and Pearl education building, a new wing which includes Sunday school room and restrooms, a new nursery, choir loft and new steeple led to tremendous growth in attendance and membership.