Twin City UMC - Northeast


History

On July 16, 1900, James and Louvinia Rountree executed a deed to the trustees of the Mount Nebo Methodist Episcopal Church for one acre of land. The trustees at this time were W. T. Moore, C. G. Norris, M.C. Allmond, E. T. Coleman and R. T. Smith. Miss Sallie Oats was the first member of the church and the first to give an offering. The first Quarterly Conference was held on January 30, 1905, and Rev. R. M. Wesley was the pastor of M. W. Warnock as Sunday school Superintendent. In October 1908, it was reported that the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society had 19 members and 8 honorary members. Rev. Clary and the members of this church were instrumental in the building of a larger sanctuary. The first service in the new church was held in 1927, with M. W. Carmichael as pastor. 
 
An organ was dedicated in December 1947, with the help of Mr. John Waters, imminent painter and musician. During the pastorate of Rev. R. H. Moreland, the painting "Come Unto Me," a life-sized picture of Christ, was painted by Mr. John Waters. In 1959, work began on a new parsonage and Rev. S. Carter Berkeley and his family were the first to live there. In January 1961, Mary Culler White, missionary to China for forty years, was a guest speaker. In 1972-1973, the social hall and kitchen were moved downstairs and the kitchen was remodeled. The preschool was established in August 1980, and the Centennial celebration was celebrated on September 21, 1997. 

 

Location

212 South College St
Twin City GA 30471

Stay in the know

Sign up for our newsletters

Contact

Conference Office

735 Pierce Avenue - Macon, GA 31204

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-475-9286

Administrative Office

520 Professional Drive, Suite 1 - Macon, GA 31201

PO Box 13145 - Macon, GA 31208

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Camping & Retreat Ministries

99 Arthur J. Moore Dr - St Simons Is., GA 31522

PO Box 20408 - St Simons Island, GA 31522

912-638-8626 | 888-266-7642

Contact us

Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.