Vidalia First UMC - Northeast


History

The Vidalia Church was organized in 1891 and met in private homes and in the Presbyterian Church. The first pastor was Rev. S. H. Bryant. The first building was a white frame structure constructed in 1903. In 1919, a brick sanctuary was built. An educational building was added in 1949 and enlarged in 1960. Twenty-nine members of First Methodist formed the nucleus of the organization of Grace United Methodist Church in 1968. In 1974, a new brick sanctuary was erected and dedicated by Bishop Canon in July 1980. 
 
During the 1960s, the church added air conditioning and a PA system in the sanctuary, started the Young Adult Sunday School class and a Youth Choir and opened Faith Center Kindergarten. The new parsonage was purchased in 1970. In the 1980s, renovations were made to the education building, parsonage, and Fellowship Hall. A lot was purchased for a playground and a church van bought. During August 1983, the church pastor family did an exchange with a pastor family from England. During 1988, Wednesday night family suppers were begun. During the 1990s, the church participated in a Volunteers in Mission Project, started an early morning Sunday service and Senior Adult Weekends. In 1991, the church celebrated its 100th anniversary. In 2002, the church held a missions rummage sale that raised over one thousand dollars and continues to sponsor a Boy Scout troop.

 

Location

209 Church Street
Vidalia GA 30474

Stay in the know

Sign up for our newsletters

Contact

Conference Office

735 Pierce Avenue - Macon, GA 31204

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-475-9286

Administrative Office

520 Professional Drive, Suite 1 - Macon, GA 31201

PO Box 13145 - Macon, GA 31208

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Camping & Retreat Ministries

99 Arthur J. Moore Dr - St Simons Is., GA 31522

PO Box 20408 - St Simons Island, GA 31522

912-638-8626 | 888-266-7642

Contact us

Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.