The church began in the 1880s, in a brush arbor at the old Evergreen school. In 1890, meetings were held in the courthouse polling place in the community. Two acres of land were donated by Joel W. Hilliard and, under the leadership of Rev. W. F. Smith, in 1892, a wooden structure was erected and called Evergreen Church after the school. Rev. J. C. Keemer was the bishop and Rev. J. W. Hinton was the presiding elder. The trustees were E. M. Whitehead, Lewis Metts, F. E. Griffin, Dr. J. L. Linder and J. Hard Stanley. The present building was built in 1945.