Waldens UMC - Northeast


History

This church, located in Jefferson County near the towns of Avera and Stapleton, was founded in 1854. A tract of land consisting of seven and one-half acres for the church and cemetery was granted by Mitchell Walden on September 13, 1854. The original frame building served as the church until 1922 when the building was remodeled. Over the years, other work has been done including brick veneering in 1948, connecting fellowship hall in 1959, redecorating in 1981, and new pews and carpeting in 1982. It is reported that at one time the church ground once served as a bivouac and training area for Confederate troops. It is also said that the wall of the cemetery was constructed of rock, perhaps sandstone, bearing traces of sea-life (shells, etc.) obtained from a quarry on land adjacent to the church tract which was owned by an original member. In 2004, the church, having an active UMM group, re-activated the UMW with ten members.

Location

1760 Walden Church Road
Avera GA 30803

Stay in the know

Sign up for our newsletters

Contact

Conference Office

735 Pierce Avenue - Macon, GA 31204

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-475-9286

Administrative Office

520 Professional Drive, Suite 1 - Macon, GA 31201

PO Box 13145 - Macon, GA 31208

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Camping & Retreat Ministries

99 Arthur J. Moore Dr - St Simons Is., GA 31522

PO Box 20408 - St Simons Island, GA 31522

912-638-8626 | 888-266-7642

Contact us

Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.