In 1827, Peyton Wade conveyed to seven local men as trustees (Robert Lovett Sr., John Green, John H. Smith, Richard Harington Sr., Jacob Lewis, Elijah Roberts and John N. Newsmith) a deed to two and 3/4 acres of land to build a Methodist Episcopal Church to be known as "the Brick". The present building is the one that was constructed on that site. The bricks for the church were made by slaves on the Lebanon Forest Plantation. The bricklayer for the church was James McBride and the carpenter was a Mr. Potter. There is no record of exactly when the construction of the church was completed or when the first worship service held in the church. One of Peyton Wade's sons, W. C. Wade, entered the Methodist ministry as a local preacher and organized a Sunday School at Brick Church. Both Peyton and his wife Elizabeth are buried in the Brick Church Cemetery.
Prior to the Civil War, Brick Church had more black members than white members. Most, if not all, of the blacks were slaves. The 1859 Annual Conference minutes recorded Brick Church as having 150 white members and 418 black members.
The land deed of 1827, referred to the church as "Brick Church" but Conference minutes in 1859 refer to the circuit as "Bethel Circuit". The first known record of the church itself being call "Bethel" was at a conference in Savannah in 1866. In 1897, Bethel Brick Church became a member of the Girard Charge along with Bethany, Mobley Pond, Bethesda and Girard churches.
In 1981, with Rev. John Powell as pastor, Brick Church became a station church and, in 1986, it was made a part of the Sylvania FUMC appointment. Finally, in 1989, it became a member of the Bethel Brick, Harmony, McBride charge.