This church was organized by the South Georgia Annual Conference at its annual session held that year in Fort Valley on December 14, 1870. Bishop George F. Pierce was the presiding bishop at this time. Rev. C. C. Hines, the first pastor assigned to the charge, transferred from Oconee and served only one year. The small Methodist congregation met in the courthouse. Land for a church was donated by William P. Hicks and this is the present site of the church. The church was built in 1882 and is the first church building of any denomination built in Wrightsville. The trustees at this time were Jethro Arline, W. W. Mixon, J. H. Hicks, W. A. Thompkins, M. A. Outlaw, W. W. Anthony and E. W. Walker. The first sanctuary measured 36 x 60 feet, had glass windows and two doors on the eastern side. The southern door was for the men and the northern door for the women and children. As was typical of this time period, the genders were separate in the church as to where they sat. The women occupied the right side of the nave while the men would sit on the left side. Young boys sat with their mothers until they were deemed old enough to sit on the men's side. The custom slowly faded out when couples ignored the seating arrangements and sat together.
The railroad came in 1886, and the Warthern College was established in 1888. In 1898, under the leadership of Rev. S. W. Walker, a new sanctuary was built and, though damaged twice by fire in 1947 and 1948, it was used until 1968. In 1939, five Sunday school rooms were added and, in 1956, a two-story, brick educational building completed. A fellowship hall was added in 1966, and, in 1968, a new sanctuary was built. The stained glass windows were added in 1982.