The first church was built on what was known as the Old McNatt Estate. In 1887, it was moved to the present location in Toombs County. The building was a frame structure with two corner entrances and the first pastor was Rev. J. C. G. Rabun. In 1934, the corner entrances were closed and a center entrance made. In more recent years, the building had a porch with columns added, four additional rooms built and the outside brick veneered. Also, a social hall, Sunday school rooms, and a steeple were added. Smyrna was in the McRae District and on the Uvalda Circuit in 1919, when Rev. J. M. Hancock was the pastor. In 1940, it was part of the Uvalda Circuit in the Dublin District. In 1968, it
has been part of the John Wesley Memorial Circuit and as of 2017, it is on the Smyrna/Pearson's Chapel Circuit.