A small group of pioneer families began this church in 1880 or 1885, depending on which records are consulted. The present building was built in 1918. In 1950, during the pastorate of Rev. L.R. Lancaster, it was carefully restored. This church first appears in the
Conference Minutes in 1919 when it was on the Garfield Circuit with Payne's Chapel, Mt. Pleasant, and Garfield. Rev. T.E. Murray was the pastor. Since 1940, it has been on the Midville Charge.
In 1970, the church celebrated its eighty-fifth anniversary. In 2003, repairs were made to the church roof, restrooms, and the water well. A church van was purchased through MYF fundraising efforts. In 2014, the combined Union Grove/Midville MYF hosted a Thanksgiving Spaghetti Supper for the entire community.