Established in 1836, with the first building being erected in 1848, Andrew UMC was named for the first bishop of Georgia, James O. Andrew. The pulpit was located between the two back doors, it was heated by a potbellied stove and, when Sunday school rooms were needed, wire and heavy curtains were used in the back corners of the church.
The slave balcony was removed in the late 1800s. Sunday school rooms were added in the mid-1950s. The building was relocated in the 1960s. Termites damaged the building in the 1980s, and strong winds caused part of the roof to collapse in 1989, causing extensive water damage. In 1991, the church building was condemned because of termites. After this, the congregation worshipped in a Boy Scout Hut in Bonaire and then in the Beaver Creek Primitive Baptist Church. They repaid the favor in 1936 when the Primitive Baptist Church burned to the ground
. Andrew UMC opened its doors while the Baptist Church was rebuilt.
In June 1992, Rev. Gene Bates became the first full-time ordained pastor in the history of Andrew UMC. In 1993, 112 families chartered a new congregation. In September 1993, a trailer was put on the land that the 1965 church structure had occupied. In June 1995, the new congregation moved into their first multipurpose room of nearly 20,000 square feet
. In 1998, on land donated by Mrs. Genie Evans, the first parsonage was built by church members.
From 1990-1997, Andrew UMC became one of the fastest growing churches in the South Georgia Conference. This church has been recognized as Church and Charge of the Year and has received numerous mission awards. In 1998, Rev. Gene Bates was honored with the Harry Denman Award for Evangelism.
Rev. Bates served Andrew UMC until 2004. Rev. Bobby Gale provided leadership for five months and, in June 2004, Rev. Baxter Hurley was appointed Senior Pastor. Rev. Hurley served until 2010 and then Rev. Samuel Wilder was appointed.