In 1806, Henry Crowell, the Agent for Indian Affairs for the government, was assigned to "Old Indian Agency" west of the Flint River near today's Roberta, GA. His wife, a devout Methodist, was determined to have a church. Tradition tells that she had only five adults and needed seven to be a regular "preaching point" on the circuit. Crowell offered himself and his overseer as probationary members for a year, saying, "If your religion is not good enough to gain two new members in a year, it's not the kind we want." As the new settlers moved into this area they found a log church built by Crowell's slaves on land that he gave. After a few years, Crowell's Meeting House burned. In 1829, the present building was erected. It had four doors, a front, back, and one on each side was not
ceilinged and unheated. During the winter they met in the school. Reflective kerosene lamps were attached to the poles that held up the roof. Today aluminum siding protects the outside, and electric lights, installed in 1937, replace the lamps. The inside was updated in 1952. In 1933, Weyman Huckabee, their pastor, left to be a missionary to Japan. Previously, Crowell had been on the Butler and Howard charges, and since 1931, with Reynolds.
In October 1979, the church celebrated its Sesquicentennial. On February 11, 1999, the church burned to the ground as a result of arson by a 15-year-old. The first service in the new building was held Christmas Eve, 2000, and the building was dedicated in February 2001. In June 2014, the church was moved from the dissolved Macon District and placed in the newly organized Northeast District.