As early as 1836, upon the insistence of James Everett and Walter Campbell, the Georgia Conference sent a missionary to the slaves of the area at Wesley Manual Labor Training School. The first church for the Fort Valley area was built at a camp meeting site near a pond. "Old Pond" was organized in 1840, in a rectangular wooden building with shuttered windows. In 1847, the Fort Valley-Marshallville Circuit included twelve preaching places and responsibility for the Wesley Manual School. Rev. David Kelsey, the circuit rider, was admonished by the quarterly conference for wearing gold spectacles. In 1848, a new building was built on Everett Square and Old Pond was given to the black people in the area. In 1901, a new church was built on the present site. Classrooms and a chapel were added in 1918 and a fellowship hall in 1954. In 1967, the new educational building was dedicated.