Even though records from this time have been lost, it is believed that Gordon was organized in the early 1850s. According to Mrs. Bethany Byington, it was a small frame building and stood where the current cemetery is now located. The first pastor on record was Rev. W. S. Johnson and the first stewards were W. A. Jones, H. J. Myrick, C. C. Johson, and J. H. Kennington. The first trustees were J. T. Clements, C.E. Frasuer, and J. F. Stevens. Due to increased population, and involving a land swap between Captain John Smith and Mr. Solomon, the second church was erected across the street from the first structure in 1874. Soon thereafter, a bell was installed to call people to worship. In 1907, the second church structure was sold and, in 1908, on land donated by Mr. W. A. Jones, a third sanctuary was built. The bell was moved to the new location and used until 1945 when it was replaced with musical chimes. It remained in the bell tower, silent from 1945-1973, until Rev. Willis Moore restored it
. In 1930, three classrooms were added upstairs and, in 1946, the first annex was added including three large rooms, one small room, and restrooms. In 1948, the memorial windows were dedicated and, in 1953, the sanctuary and classrooms were decorated. The new annex was built in 1956, including six classrooms, pastor's study, and two restrooms. The first annex was renovated and is now the recreation center and kitchen. An Epworth League was organized in 1895 with eighteen members. It was reorganized in 1915 with Mr. J. E. Stokes as president.