Dr. William Capers Bass, a Wesleyan College professor, rode into the community to organize a new Methodist church on December 29, 1868. Services were first held in the one room Lake Academy School which was located on the site of our church. On August 28, 1879, a volunteer committee met to discuss the building of a church. W. H. Cason was the superintendent and Rev. R. M. Booth was the pastor during this time. A building committee was appointed with three members including William H. Cason, Thomas H. Tucker and William E. Sherwood. The Lake Academy School was torn down and a building built on this site. In 1947, while Rev. W. E. Chapple was pastor, the church was brick veneered and the long wooden porch on the font converted into a narthex with circular brick steps at the front and classrooms added. The two-story educational building was constructed and the sanctuary was renovated in 1959.
Until 1947, when Bass became a station, it had been on the Macon and Bibb Circuits. Its first listing in the Conference Minutes was Bass and Jones Chapel (Second Street).