Begun in American Methodism's centennial year, 1884, as a Sunday school mission by Mulberry Street Church, this church had sixteen members of the Sunday school join in profession of faith at its organization. Rev. J.W. Simmons began Sunday school in the basement of a house at the corner of Ross and Ash Streets. Here, the first church, a wooden building, was erected. When the name "Centenary" appeared for the first time in Minutes of the 1887 conference, the membership was 320. In 1891, a corner lot at College and Ash was purchased and, by 1911, the present brick building was dedicated being debt free. The church celebrated its Semi-Centennial in October 1935. Over the years, other facilities have been added including educational units and youth and children centers. The sanctuary was remodeled and redecorated and a sound system installed. An elevator has been added for convenience of the handicapped.
During the 1990s, the Fellowship Hall collapsed and was rebuilt. From 2003-2007, the Youth Building was converted into the Wesley Foundation, the Youth Building on Ash was converted into offices for Centenary Community Ministries, and the old parsonage on College was converted into the new home for the Wesley Foundation. During 2011-2014, the sanctuary was re-wired, re-roofed, and new HVAC added. The kitchen was also renovated into a commercial kitchen. Since 2005, there has been no United Methodist Men group and the UMW ceased meeting in 2012. In 2009, Centenary Community Ministries, Inc., an outreach for the homeless, was started and Centenary partnered with Nueva Vida UMC to share space and fellowship. In 2014, the church had children's Sunday school and a youth group.