This church's roots originate with Old Damascus Church located north of the present site. Old Damascus began sometime in the 1820s, as settlers moved into this area. A new church was eventually built on a corner lot given by Sarah Bowman Johnson and Martha Bowman Howard. Services had been held in a brush arbor until the white clapboard church was ready in 1901. The communion table from Old Damascus, still used by Martha Bowman UMC, was used at the South Georgia Conference's annual session in 1976. Alexander Blair was the architect and C. M. Orr, a banker, and member-contributed generously to the building fund
. This church was named Wilma for the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. M. Orr but was changed as a memorial to Martha Bowman in 1938
. The first Sunday school building was constructed in 1921-1922, using materials from the Medical Dispensary at Camp Wheeler where WWI barracks were being torn down. During the first 40 years, it was on many circuits before growing to a station in 1949, with Dr. Samuel Akers, Dean of Wesleyan College, as its first full-time pastor.
In 1959, due to increased membership after WWII, a second Sunday school building was constructed which tied in with the first building. An acre of adjacent land was donated by Chester and Helene Arrington and a parsonage was built. The groundbreaking ceremony for the fellowship hall was held on October 21, 1958. This building was named for the second daughter of Martha Bowman Howard and added classrooms, kitchen, great hall, a nursery, and bathrooms. In 1980, due to an ever-increasing population, a large expansion of the present sanctuary was built. Combining the old with the new was the primary objective for the architect, Bill Hollis, and the crowning touch was the addition of the new organ. This addition was consecrated on August 22, 1982.