The Macon City Board of Missions sponsored the organization of Riverside Methodist Church. On Easter Sunday, April 21, 1957, Bishop Arthur Moore, Rev. Tom Whiting, District Superintendent, and other church leaders met with a group of prospective members on a nine and one-half acre lot on Pierce Avenue. The site was selected by Rev. Whiting and Rev. David G. Mann and purchased from Dr. and Mrs. Charles T. Rumble. At the 1957 Annual Conference, Rev. J. Harold Beaty
was sent from Talbotton to become the first pastor. Vineville Methodist Church agreed to pay the minister's salary and provide a parsonage for one year. The first worship service was conducted at Burden Chapel of the Methodist Home on June 16, 1957, where seventy-one people formed the new congregation. The following Wednesday evening, the Riverside Methodist Church was duly constituted with seventy-one members. By the next Sunday, church school classrooms had been set up in several buildings of the Methodist Home.
On Charter Sunday, November 3, 1957, a total of three hundred sixty-two members had been received by transfer and on a profession of faith. The first building constructed on the site was a scout hut. A parsonage was bought on Crestline Drive. On February 21, 1960, groundbreaking ceremonies were conducted and the first units were completed 10 months later. The first worship service was held on December 18, 1960, with Rev. J. Harold Beaty delivering the sermon. The first Vacation Bible School was held in 1962, and a church library began in the fall of 1963. The Methodist Men's Club was organized on March 4, 1965, and they made extensive repairs to the original scout hut. In September 1967, a Wesleyan Service Guild was organized for the women. At the tenth anniversary celebration, there was a mortgage burning ceremony at the morning worship service. On February 3, 1970, a Mother's morning out program began for children three years and under. In 1970, the kitchen was completed.