This church is named for Peyton T. Pitts, the man that wanted a church in his community so badly that he gave generously to build the largest and finest church in Jones County in 1860. It was dedicated on August 4, 1861, by Bishop George F. Pierce, one of South Georgia's native sons. The 116 members of the newly organized church honored the man whose generosity made the building possible by giving it his name. The church was used by Sherman's troops as they camped in the area, and it served as a hospital for a short time. In 1919, this church was on the Bibb Circuit with Bass, Holton, Ebenezer, Coles, Lizella, and Wilma; in 1940, with Cross Keys and Swift Creek. In 1958, it became a station with Rev. Claude Cook assigned as pastor.
Between 1955 and 1960, two wings were added to the church housing Sunday school rooms and a nursery. In 1960, the church got its first water well and pump. The Fellowship building was completed in 1968 and the parsonage in 1974. During the late 1970s and early 1980s, a vestibule, a steeple, dedicated in 1986, and central heat/air were added and vinyl siding placed on the church exterior. In 1985 and 1986, Pitts Chapel was Church of the Year for the Macon District. In 1989, the church participated in the joint organization of a community Food Bank, sponsored a Brownie troop and had church softball and bowling teams. During the 1990s, the church started WNOF (Wednesday Night of Fun, Food, and Fellowship & Faith), had live nativities, bought a new church van, participated in UMVIM Mission trips and started yearly youth Pumpkin Patch sales. In 2006, the church sponsored a Cub Scout troop. 2009 saw new restrooms in the Fellowship building and other renovations. In 2010, the church celebrated its 150th anniversary.