In 1904, the land was purchased on the corner of Jenkins Street and Second Street, a church built and named Second Street Methodist Church. However, the church's roots go back to a Sunday school started in 1842, so it held its Centennial anniversary in 1942, with Bishop Arthur J. Moore attending the service. The Second Street UMC had a glorious history, but changes took place in the years immediately following WWII. Under the direction of Rev. Felton Harden in December 1974, a relocating committee was formed to study the possibilities for this church to move. The land was selected on Hartley Bridge Road with the growth potential for this area being five hundred new families over the next five years
. On May 11, 1975, the congregation voted to change the name of the church to Wesley UMC. A mobile chapel was purchased which contained a large assembly room, two restrooms, a foyer and two small rooms. The cornerstone from Second Street UMC was removed on May 23, 1976, and the first service in the new location was held on May 30, 1976.
A groundbreaking ceremony was held on August 21, 1977, and the new construction was completed by March 12, 1978. On February 10, 1977, the Second Street UMC building was sold to the Georgia Baptist Missionary Convention. During the early 1980s, the church sponsored two Scout troops, the choir was reorganized, there were Junior and Senior High youth groups, and there were active Men and Women's groups. In 2005, the church youth did a mission trip as part of Youth in Missions to the Cherokee Native American Reservation.