Swift Creek Methodist Church originated from a summer brush arbor revival held near Swift Creek shortly after the end of the Civil War in 1865. The two evangelists who ran the revival were Rev. Bill Griffin and Rev. Charlie Johnson. The church was organized by Dr. William Capers Bass between 1865 and 1867 and was built on three and one-half acres given by Mrs. Elisha Davis
. The deed was made to the first trustees, James S. Duke, E. Lunce Riggins and William Hanover Donnan. Brother Riggins planned the building and directed the work and the labor was done by the men of the church. Rev. Bass, the first pastor, held monthly appointments for twenty years while doing his work as the President of Wesleyan College
. In the Minutes of the South Georgia Conference, Swift Creek
was listed as a mission in 1867 and a circuit in 1871. In 1957, it became a full station church with Rev. A. C. McLendon as the first full-time pastor. In 1959, a parsonage was bought and Rev. William T. Haselden was the first pastor to occupy it.
The original building is still in use today with many improvements being made including electric lights, gas heat, an attic fan and deep well installed. The cemetery was started in 1943, the Sunday school annex added in 1946 and the bell and bell tower completed in 1947.