This church was organized in 1826, as part of the Houston Mission. Its first building was at the current site of Evergreen Cemetery. The second building was erected in 1860, and remodeled in 1906, with front porch and columns added. In 1946, the interior was redecorated and the steeple, removed in 1907, restored. A Sunday school annex was added to the rear of sanctuary in 1950, and the new educational building completed in 1960. It became a South Georgia Conference historical site in 1980. The Sunday school begun in 1828 has been continuous since that time. At the 13th annual session of the South Georgia Conference in 1879, the Conference Woman's Missionary Society was organized. This church was part of the Perry Circuit in 1860 and has been a
station church for over a hundred years.
In 1981-1985, stained-glass windows were installed, Wednesday night suppers started, hand bell choirs were organized, the Crossway building was purchased for offices, library and conference rooms, and the church and educational building were repainted. During 1989-1993, a new organ was purchased, a grand piano donated, the Joy Choir was formed and the church exterior covered with vinyl siding. The church also sponsored a Habitat House. From 1993-1999, the fellowship hall kitchen was renovated and videotaping of the Sunday services and Disciple Bible Studies began. In 1999-2002, a Samaritan's Closet was started, along with a new adult Sunday school class, called the Asbury Class, and new choir robes purchased. During 2002-2008, three parsonages were sold and a pastor housing allowance began, a memorial carillon was donated, new chairs for the fellowship hall purchased, the church exterior was painted, a building was purchased for use as the Mission Outreach Center, and the grounds landscaped, including the planting of memorial trees
. In 2009-2012, two new mission project was begun,
Snax Sax Ministry and Relay for Life, the UMM Club was reactivated, the library and historical rooms in the fellowship building renovated, and the old post office building purchased and renovated for use as the youth building. During 2013, the church joined a county-wide church team which provides casseroles to cancer patients and their families, purchased new hymnals for the sanctuary, and began the observance of All Saints Day, a yearly service of remembrance for deceased church members.